The Advantages and Disadvantages of Working Remotely or in a Brick and Mortar Work Environment
Working remotely has become more appealing in today’s economy although not for some managers. A research done by Hubstaff found according to some managers their view of remote work paled in comparison to some employee’s views on the topic.
Below lists the managers’ concerns as well as HubStaff’s recommendations in alleviating said concerns:
- Community- There’s a lack of community and comradery.
- Solution– Host an annual meet and greets and provide a safe online space for meetings.
- Communication- The difficulty of sharing space when it’s virtual. For some managers, this is costly and time-consuming if everyone isn’t in the same place.
- Solution– Coordinate a set time for meetings and utilize communication software.
- Retention- Remote work isn’t seen as permanent work. Employees move on easily.
- Solution– Provide non-monetary rewards and benefits and change the hiring process by making sure prior remote work experience is required.
- Accountability-It’s harder to hold remote workers accountable.
- Solution– Implement a tracking system to monitor workload and work time. In alleviating the stress of micro-managing, provide employees space and time to be responsible. Create an atmosphere of transparency.
- Payment Issues- International currency and legal ramifications make the process of payment and wages daunting.
- Solution– Utilize a tax and financial service or software to calculate and adhere to international laws and accounting practices.
- Productivity- Lack of supervision breeds unreliability says, one manager. The inability to onboard employees properly defeats the purpose of those employees delivering and succeeding.
- Solution– Hire those who are self-starters, not those who need to be hand-held. Provide tools to maintain focus and concentration. Allow employees to make their own schedules.
- Security Concerns- Employees leave and they leave with the company’s confidential information. There’s also the threat of viruses and scams.
- Solution– Install anti-viruses and update regularly. Establish a username and password access for VPN’s (Virtual Private Network). Deactivate users when they’re no longer an employee.
- Jealousy- Low morale among employees.
- Solution– Make remote work accessible to all employees. Make sure to clarify what each person’s role is.
- Loyalty- Remote workers aren’t as invested as brick and mortar employees, some managers say.
- Solution-Trust is key. Remote managers and remote employees must build a bond and an open-door policy to communicate freely.
Employees’ Views- Disadvantages and Advantages
The views of some remote workers vary according to Clicktime. There were preferences from having the flexibility of working at home, in their pajamas, making their own schedules to being lonely and not having the willpower to get anything done. Other concerns included iffy wifi connections to loving the fact they could cut costs by not commuting to an office every day. Some had trouble sticking to a routine, while others loved the privacy of being able to make a phone call and not experiencing distractions from other employees.
Working in a Brick and Mortar Workspace
In an article done by Wisestep, survey results found that working in an actual office environment varied as well. When asked what they liked about working in an office, some employees offered the list below:
- Time management
- Behavior and interpersonal skills
- Gaining experience
- Sparking creativity
- Becoming a company expert
- Learning how to be an effective communicator
- Having easy access to others
- Having their own workspace
When asked what they disliked, the list below highlights each one:
- Strains on the eyes
- Having not enough breaks
- Sitting for a very long time/lack of movement
- Involved in office feuds
Whether working remotely or in an actual office space, the answer is clear: choosing the right work environment entails knowing one’s dislikes and likes.
Get connected with pre-screened at home employers at https://virtualdeskjobs.com//.