Inpatient Coding Specialist
The Inpatient Coding Specialist is a temporary, non-exempt, remote position reporting to the Coding Manager for our Provider Coding & Audit division. Review clinical documentation and diagnostic results as appropriate to extract data and apply appropriate ICD-9-CM codes for billing, internal and external reporting, research, and regulatory compliance.
- Assigns codes for all diagnostic and operative information from the medical record using ICD-9-CM, CPT, HCPCS level 2 coding classification systems.
- Selects the DRG for each in-patient case.
- Reviews DRG discrepancies from the fiscal intermediary to ensure the appropriate per case DRG assignment.
- Verifies and abstracts all medical data from the record to complete a data abstract on hospital encounters.
- Corrects data as appropriate. Ensures that all data abstracted and/or coded are consistent with guidelines outlined by JCAHO, OSHPD and CMS, regional and local policy.
- Reviews appropriate provider documentation to determine principal diagnosis, co-morbidities and complications, secondary conditions and surgical procedures.
- Assigns present on admission (POA) value for inpatient diagnoses.
- Certification: This position requires a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA).
- Completion of classes in medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, ICD-9 and CPT coding conventions, and disease process from an accredited program.
- 3+ years of acute care hospital coding.
- Must have high school diploma or GED.
- Must have three years of continuous hospital experience in coding.
Pay: $19 per hour / DOE
Apply To Become A Medical Coding Agent:
https://virtualdeskjobs.com/join-now/ - Please reference agent ID code VDJAMY.
Please contact us directly to discuss remote medical coding job openings at 405-494-0214.